Leave a legacy to enrich lives in our Community.
The Neenah Public Library has a history of strong community support. The Library’s original organization, Neenah Public Library Association, was formed in 1882. In 1884, City Council voted to establish a public library, which occupied a room in the original City Hall.
By 1904, the Library had outgrown the space in City Hall and a new building was constructed on land donated by Theda Clark Peters (the current site) along with a grant from Andrew Carnegie.
In 1964, the Library was updated and remodeled with a wrap-around addition. By the 1990s, the library had again outgrown its space and an new building, the current facility, was constructed. Opened in 2000, the current building is 50,000 square feet, holds 220,000 items, and welcomes over 295,000 guests annually. One-third of the total $6 million cost was funded by donations.
Donors have contributed hundreds of thousands of dollars toward special collections, programming, new services, memorial gifts, a grand piano, landscaping, special equipment, and enhancements to the facility.
The Library Board encourages gifts and bequests of any size. Donations enrich and expand library collections and services beyond the limits of normal municipal and county funding. Donations are used for special projects, programs, services, resources, and building enhancements.
A gift to the trust fund may provide substantial tax savings to the donor:
- Savings in income taxes by current gifts of cash or property.
- Savings in inheritance and gift taxes by testamentary trusts or gifts of living trusts.
- Savings in capital gains tax when gifts of appreciated securities or other property are donated.
Please consult with an attorney or accountant regarding your tax benefits.
- Cash, securities, or real property.
- A bequest to the Library.
- A gift of life insurance.
- A charitable remainder or living trust from which you or another beneficiary may receive income during a defined period of time (or a lifetime) with a provision that the trust assets become the property of the Library thereafter.
Donors may designate the specific purpose for the gift. Donations may be made to an endowment, where the principal must remain intact and only the income may be spent, or may be made as an undesignated or unrestricted gift.
Unrestricted gifts enable the Library Board to use the funds in the manner most beneficial to current, as well as long-term, needs.
- Library materials endowment: The income is used to supplement the library’s collection.
- Library materials account: For library materials.
- Program account: For programming.
- Building account: For large-scale building projects, building remodeling or improvement, an addition, or a new library.
- Marshall Schroeder Staff Recognition account: For staff honors and recognition.
- General account: For general purposes.
- Youth account: For programs, materials, and furnishings for children and teens.
- Adult account: For programs, materials, and furnishings for adults.
Donations are acknowledged with a plaque on our donor wall,:
- $50,000 and up Founder
- $25,000—$49,999 Philanthropist
- $10,000—$24,999 Patron
- $5,000—$9,999 Benefactor
- $1,500—$4,999 Sponsor
- $500—$1,499 Advocate
For more information, contact:
Gretchen Raab, Director
Neenah Public Library
P.O. Box 569
Neenah, Wisconsin 54957
Email: email@example.com(link sends e-mail)